One of the most popular historical eras to set TV shows and films is the 16th century in the courts of Henry VIII, Elizabeth I, and Mary Queen of Scots. Yet the costuming can range from OMG WTFrock?!?! terrible to gorgeous reproductions of period portraits.
In this video, the Frock Flicks team runs through three of the worst and three of the best on-screen productions in terms of historically accurate costumes.
Referenced in this video:
- Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot (2004), costumes designed by Nic Ede
- The Tudors (2007-2010), costumes designed by Joan Bergin
- Mary Queen of Scots (2018), costumes designed by Alexandra Byrne
- Elizabeth R (1971), costumes designed by Elizabeth Waller
- Elizabeth I (2005), costumes designed by Mike O’Neill
- Wolf Hall (2015), costumes designed by Joanna Eatwell
- Unfortunate biggins
Do you agree with our worst & best list? What would you add?