If you like historical costume and haven’t been living under a rock since 2010, you know all about The Tudors — Showtime’s soap-opera version of the life and loves of King Henry VIII. We don’t need to tell you that the costuming is a bullsh*t fantasy version of 16th-century forced through a lens of sex, cheap budgets, and who gives a crap. At least, we hope we don’t need to explain why it’s bad. If you’re not clear on what constitutes historically accurate Tudor costume, please to be go reading The Tudor Tailor, for starters, then come back so you can snark with us, kthx.
Since picking the good costumes out of that steaming pile would be a royal PITA, let’s have some fun and count down 10 of the most What The FROCK?!?! things worn in Showtime’s The Tudors series, starting with…
1. Jane Seymour in Rumpled Orange
2. Catherine of Aragon’s Hat-Thing
3. Margaret Tudor Goes Off-the-Shoulder
4. Henry Ditches the Sleeves
5. Catherine Howard’s Airy-Fairy Dress
6. Anne Boleyn’s Yellow Fascinator
7. Henry’s Burger King Crown
8. Catherine Howard’s Blue & Gold Dress
9. Poor Anne of Cleves
10. The So-Called Masquerade Costumes
Oh yes, there were so many more to choose from! But these were my 10 faves. What did I miss? What costume horrors are burned into your brain by this show? Share!